Update on funeral arrangements for former President Richards
The Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago (GoRTT) will open a book of condolence for the late Professor George Maxwell Richards TC, CMT, PhD at the Parliament on:
- Monday January 15, 2018 from 11am to 5:54 pm
- Tuesday January 16 to Friday January 19, 2018 from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
A book of condolence will be opened at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) on:
- Tuesday January 16, 2018 from 10:00 am to 5:45 pm
- Thursday January 18, 2018 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Friday January 19, 2018 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
The condolence book will not be available for signature at NAPA on Wednesday January 17, 2018.
A condolence book will also be available for signature by members of the public at the Assembly Chamber, Tobago House of Assembly and at the following venues in Trinidad from Monday January 15, 2018 to Friday January, 19 2018 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm:
- Port of Spain City Corporation
- San Fernando City Corporation
- Chaguanas Borough Corporation
- Arima Borough Corporation
- Point Fortin Borough Corporation
- Couva-Tabaquite-Talparo Regional Corporation
- Diego Martin Regional Corporation
- Penal-Debe Regional Corporation
- Princes Town Regional Corporation
- Rio Claro-Mayaro Regional Corporation
- Siparia Regional Corporation
The body of the late President will lie in State on Monday January 15, 2018 at the Parliament with public viewing from 11:00 am to 5:45 pm.
On Tuesday January 16, 2018, the body will be escorted through the St. Augustine Campus of The University of the West Indies from 7:45 am en route to NAPA where it will lie in State from 10:00 am to 5:45 pm.
The public will be invited to the funeral of the former President by invitation only. A limited number of invitations will be distributed to the public on a first come, first serve basis and will be available at NAPA Box Office on Tuesday January 16, 2018. The time will be subsequently disclosed.
The viewing and funeral will be closed casket.
Professor Richards’ family has agreed that a State Funeral will take place on Wednesday January 17 2018 at NAPA from 10:00 am. The GoRTT continues to work with Professor Richards’ family on the funeral arrangements and further details will be disclosed in a subsequent statement.
Professor Richards was the fourth President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, serving in this capacity from 2003 to 2013. He died on Monday January 8, 2018.