Tourism Ministry to launch their Tourism Youth Outreach initiatives in July
June 27, 2017: During the month of July, the Ministry of Tourism will launch its Tourism Youth Outreach initiatives; providing an opportunity to introduce the next generation of leaders to the local tourism sector.
Targeting young people aged 14 to 17 years, the youth outreach programs consist of the following: -
- A Tourism Youth Symposium, which is scheduled for July 04, 2017 at the Hyatt Regency Trinidad, under the theme “Sustainable Tourism through Youth Involvement”. This conference seeks to expose the benefits of tourism, careers in the industry and youth participation in tourism. Young people will discuss opportunities, exchange experiences, and learn from each other as well as from successful tourism practitioners. The format is designed to encourage dynamic interaction and creativity.
The one-day conference will include a combination of panel discussions, keynote speeches, exhibitions, and group workshops all built around the theme of sustainable tourism from a youth perspective.
The conference will address seven (7) subject areas:
- Tourism, Youth and Technology
- Tourism and New Media
- The evolution of Tourism and Destination Marketing
- Customer Service in Tourism
- Tourism and Youth Entrepreneurship
- Innovative Product Development
- Culinary Tourism and the Tourist Experience
2. A Junior Minister of Tourism Competition, which is the local leg of the Caribbean Tourism Organization’s (CTO) speech contest, where students present their ideas on strengthening the tourism sector in their various Caribbean territories. The Trinidad and Tobago’s leg of the Junior Minister of Tourism Competition will take place on July 12, 2017 at the Auditorium of the Government Campus.
The winner earns the title of “Junior Minister of Tourism” for one (1) year and will represent Trinidad and Tobago at the CTO Youth Congress in October this year. In 2016 Trinidad and Tobago participated, for the very first time, in the CTO’s Youth Congress and attained second place in a keenly fought competition.
The Honourable Shamfa Cudjoe, Minister of Tourism, will deliver the Feature Address at both the Junior Minister of Tourism competition and the Tourism Youth Symposium.
Sharing his experience at both of these events will be Trinidad and Tobago’s current Junior Minister of Tourism, La Quan Pearie of Manzanilla Secondary School. During his tenure as “Junior Minister of Tourism”, La Quan Pearie has been serving as Trinidad and Tobago’s Youth Ambassador for Tourism, with responsibility for leading community tourism projects, engaging tourism stakeholders across Trinidad and Tobago and promoting the establishment of tourism youth clubs throughout our twin island Republic.
La Quan Pearie led the recently formed Manzanilla Tourism Youth Club on a successful clean-up of Manzanilla Beach on June 10, 2017.
For further information please contact:
The Corporate Communications Unit
Ministry of Tourism
868-625-0963 ext 248