Student support services interventions
The Honourable Anthony Garcia, Minister of Education is deeply concerned over the increasing number of crimes committed against school children. This concern from Mr. Garcia, as officers from the Student Support Services Division of the Ministry have been kept busy this week conducting joint intervention exercises in supporting students and families traumatised by recent events.
The exercises, comprising Guidance Officers and School Social Workers were in response to tragic events causing the death of one primary school student, three secondary school students; suicide intervention for one male secondary school student; and the sexual assault of one female secondary school student. These interventions included:
- Consultation sessions with Principals, form teachers and parents
- Conducting home visits and providing support in about six cases
- Providing support and safety tips to students through classroom debriefing sessions in these schools.
- Identifying targeted students in each school for individual counselling and psycho-social intervention.
- Referring teachers to Employee Assistance Services where necessary
The Honourable Anthony Garcia, Minister of Education is assuring parents that the Student Support Services Division (SSSD) of the Ministry of Education remains committed to all students and will work with minimal disruptions of classes as students are engaged in end of term examinations.
Minister Garcia added, “While the majority of the students are resilient, some through peer relationships require additional intervention. Each case will be monitored on an individual basis and will be referred to our Diagnostic and Assessment and Intervention Unit for additional counselling if deemed necessary. “