Senator the Honourable Hassel Bacchus
Senator the Honorable Hassel Bacchus was appointed a Senator and Minister in the Ministry of Public Administration and Digital Transformation on August 19, 2020.
Portfolio: Minister in the Ministry of Public Administration and Digital Transformation
Senator the Honourable Hassel Larry Bacchus is the holder of A.A.S. Electronics Engineering Technology from the University of the District of Columbia. Van Ness Campus, 1986 to 1987. Over his career he pursued the following areas of study;
- Certificate Leadership Development Program Arthur Lok Jack
- Certificates in Project Management
- Certificates on Transport, Switching, mobile and management systems from numerous vendors including Huawei; Genband, Alcatel, Harris, Icaro
- Certification in the use of admin systems utilized in TSTT including C.I.S., PeopleSoft, Accescare
Senator Bacchus on a personal and a professional level is self-motivated, goal orientated, creative, experienced Telecom Technology Leader with a proven track record across multiple I.T. and Telecom Managerial and Operational environments. He understands and is at ease working within all levels of a corporation. Senator Bacchus possesses an in-depth knowledge of service provider deployment, fulfilment and assurance processes. Track record in developing new operational areas and ensuring functional integrity. Detailed understanding of I.T. solutions, legacy and Next Generation switching and transport networks in both wired and wireless core and access spheres. Proficient in creating and evaluating business documents with the ability to understand and negotiate with a focus on value and Customer and Service. Senator Bacchus passion for educating and sharing is at the heart of his work.
The passion for Electronics and Telecom fueled his decision to enter the Telecommunications Industry This passion was demonstrated during his tenure at TELCO and subsequently Telecommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago Limited. It is almost impossible to speak about Senator Bacchus without talking about the company in which he spent over thirty (30) years, and has led many teams through technological and operations change. This journey started on October 16, 1989.
Chief Technology Officer (C.T.O.) 2019 to 2020
Strategic/operational leadership of the use of the company's technological resources in the transformation to an agile operations model.
Chief of Network Operations (CNO) - 2016 to 2019
Strategic/operational leadership of the use of the company's technological resources geared towards the organization's competitive advantage.
Head of Department Network Planning and Design- 2013 to 2016
- Strategic Planning and Engineering ofService Configuration Implementation
- Wired and wireless core and access network services infrastructure
- Core and distribution layer transport systems
- Domestic submarine cable as well as domestic backhaul for wet lease
- Wireline and wireless trunking translations
- Customer solutions
- Signaling network
- Service support infrastructure
Head of Department Network Operation Center – 2009 to 2013
- Define and implement the strategy for the continued development for the Network Operation Center following the agreed road map and end state
Manager Fault Management- 2007 to 2009
- Manage the implementation of defined Incident management strategy
- Manage the utilization of Fault Management Systems to monitor detect and resolve Network issues
- Execute integration of required to Manager of Managers (Mom) of all new technologies
Engineer Technical Assistance – 2004 to 2007
- Provide Tier 3 support on Network systems and services
- Guide Root Cause Analysis (R.C.A.) process
- Password Administration
- Translation build verification and input.
Engineer Transmission District 1 – 1997 to 2004
- Guide the Operation, Administration Maintenance and Provisioning (OAM&P) of all transmission systems in District 1
- Fiber Optic, T Carrier, Multiplexer, Management and Radio Systems
Network Technician District 4 – 1991 to 1997
- Operation, Administration, Maintenance and Provisioning (OAM&P) on all network systems;
- Transmission, Switching, Data, Power and Customer systems
- Review logs and operational measurements
Network Technician Tobago – 1989 to 1990
- Operation, Administration, Maintenance and Provisioning all network systems.
- Transmission, Switching, Data, Power and Customer systems
University of the District of Columbia Washington DC
Education Technician- 1987
- Prepare electronic and computer labs
- Repair faulty lab equipment
- Assist students during lab exercises
- Assist with resolution of network issues in labs.
Senator Bacchus is the only employee who rose from the position of Technician to become a member of the Company’s Executive. During this period, his performance has been exemplary. The following accomplishments are a testimony;
- built and lead strong Engineering and Operations teams that evolved TSTTs transport and wireless networks;
- successful implementation of the N.O.C. development project that resulted in:completion the development of a Broadband Serving Strategy (Wireless and Wired) to serve 95% of the population of Tobago; as well as; lead the successful development and implementation of a plan for operating processes to ensure the IPTV SAC is in full and seamless alignment with service assurance in the N.O.C.
- Single Point of Contact for Network incidents
- Centralized Network Wide Monitoring
- Direct reduction in the critical indicators of:
- Mean Time To Detect (MTTD)
- Mean Time To communicate (MTTC)
- Contributing to the reduction in:
- Mean Time to Restore (MTTR)
- Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF)
Senator Bacchus is an authority in the field of Telecom and has demonstrated his understanding and capability in Digitization and Digitalization. The following reflects this recognition.
- 2020 CANTO Conversations (via Zoom) Senator Bacchus presented on Understanding 5G Technology with Mr Carlos Bocsh Head of Technology GSMA.
- TSTT Huawei 5G launch. Senator Bacchus presented on 5G and executed the live demo.
- 2018 Latam Wireless Summit Trinidad. Senator Bacchus presented on 4G TDD LTE in Trinidad and Tobago
- 2017 Laventille Nights" brought Howard University, U.S. Embassy and TSTT to Success Laventille Secondary School for career guidance. Senator Bacchus spoke on the topic of Technology Education https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomcJwk83KI along with Dr Wayne Frederick.
- 2016 LATAM Broadband Forum in Bariloche, Argentina; Senator Bacchus spoke on the Innovative ways the TSTT is using a (Fixed Wireless Access) WTTX TDD LTE Network. He also participated in the C.T.O. roundtable at the same event.
- Previously. IBM PULSE conference. Senator Bacchus presented on Next-generation Networks (NGN) Service Management and participated in a panel discussion on the same topic.