Recruitment Process for the Offices of Deputy Commissioners of Police
- The Police Service Commission (PolSC) is only responsible for the appointment of a Commissioner of Police and Deputy Commissioners of Police pursuant to the Constitution of Trinidad and Tobago.
- The process for the recruitment of both the positions of Commissioner of Police (CoP) and Deputy Commissioners of Police (DCoPs) is governed by Section 123 of the Constitution, The Commissioner of Police and Deputy Commissioner of Police (Selection Process) Order, 2015 and relevant Case Law. The Police Service Commission is required to follow this prescribed process/procedure.
- Legal Notice No. 339 dated Nov 4th 2019 provided new qualifications for the office of Deputy Commissioner of Police.
- The Commission met in January and February 2020 and approved the Request for Proposal (RFP) for a Firm to engage in the recruitment process in accordance with the Order above. The closing date for the submission of the Request for Proposals by the interested local Firms was March 25th 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
- A Team was appointed by the Police Service Commission to assess proposals received pursuant to the RFP. The Report and Recommendations from the Team were tabled at the meeting of the Police Service Commission on May 28th 2020. The successful bidder was approved.
- Negotiations were entered into by the Director of Personnel Administration and the successful Firm.
- The contract was finalized and executed on July 24th 2020.
Based on the project plan and agreed timelines, it is expected that the Commission will have the recommendations from the Firm by the end of December, 2020. There-after the Commission will take steps to produce an Order of Merit List and submit same to Her Excellency the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago in accordance with the procedure as set out in Section 123(2) and (3) of The Constitution.