Public advisory: Riverine Flood Alert #1 – Orange Level
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) has issued a Riverine Flood Alert #1 – Orange Level for communities located along Trinidad’s main river courses and associated tributaries, for the period Thursday 18th October, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. to Tuesday 23rd October, 2018 at 12:00 p.m. Orange level means that you should prepare to safeguard yourself and your property.
Currently, river levels are significantly high and are expected to rise further as more rainfall is forecast over the next several days. Riverine flooding occurs when water levels in a river over-tops its banks and spills onto surrounding areas. This type of flooding is more widespread and usually lasts for several days.
Persons residing, traversing or working in flood prone areas, especially along the Caroni River Basin are urged to be extra vigilant and to take the necessary steps to preserve life and property. Be alert for rising river levels and possible over-spill. Do not take unnecessary risks. Avoid intentionally walking or driving through flood waters.
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) would like residents and visitors to ‘Get Ready and Stay Ready’ by implementing the following safety measures:
1. Pre-position sandbags around your property, especially if your area or property has a history of flooding;
2. After heavy rainfall, stay inside until water levels have subsided;
3. Do not walk, play or drive through flood waters of unknown depth and current;
4. Be cautious when walking /driving along hillsides or landslide-prone areas;
5. If there are signs that flooding is about to occur near your property, move important items to a higher floor if possible;
6. If impacted by the adverse weather, please contact your Municipal Corporation or the Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) through its toll-free hotline numbers.
Citizens should continue to monitor the website and social media profiles of the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service and the ODPM for weather forecasts, alerts, warnings and cancellations. Visit www.metoffice.gov.tt or wwww.odpm.gov.tt. WE WISH TO UNDERSCORE THAT TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER ANY TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE THREAT, WATCH OR WARNING.