Public advisory #6 - Adverse weather alert # 3
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) has updated the Adverse Weather Alert, extending the period of inclement weather to today, Friday 16th November, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
TTMS indicates that periods of rainfall with the low chance of thunderstorm activity are likely mainly over Trinidad. Street and flash flooding, gusty winds and landslides/landslips are possible near heavy showers and thunderstorms. These conditions are as a result of the Inter Tropical Convergence Zone (ITZC), however, conditions are expected to gradually improve.
For more information on the Adverse Weather Alert update, please visit http://www.metoffice.gov.tt/early_warning
The Riverine Flood Alert #1 – Orange Level remains in effect for communities located along Trinidad’s main river courses and associated tributaries for the period Thursday 15th November, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. to Friday 16th November, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
The Hazardous Seas Alert #1 – Yellow Level remains in effect for coastal and offshore waters of Tobago and the eastern coastline of Trinidad for the period Wednesday 14th November, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. to Saturday 17th November, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) would like residents and visitors to ‘Get Ready and Stay Ready’ by implementing the following safety measures:
1. Place sandbags around your property, especially if your area or property has a history of flooding;
2. Cover internal drainage holes with sandbags e.g. toilet, shower, bath and floor drains to stop backflow of flood waters;
3. Move valuables to higher ground if possible;
4. Lifting curtains, rugs and bedding, and removing items from low cupboards may be necessary, especially if your area or property has a history of flooding;
5. Keep a list of emergency telephone numbers on display on your refrigerator or anywhere easily accessible to everyone in your household;
6. Monitor weather conditions before leaving the house;
7. After heavy rainfall, stay inside until water levels have subsided;
8. Do not walk, play or drive through flood waters of unknown depth and current;
9. Be cautious when walking /driving along hillsides or landslide-prone areas;
10. If impacted by the adverse weather, please contact your Municipal Corporation or the Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) through its toll-free hotline numbers.
If impacted by the adverse weather, please contact your Municipal Corporation or the Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) through its toll-free hotline numbers.
WE WISH TO UNDERSCORE THAT TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER ANY TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE THREAT, WATCH OR WARNING.