ODPM urges citizens to be alert & prepare for adverse weather conditions
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) issued an Adverse Weather Alert #1 – Yellow Level for the period Friday 17th August, 2018 at 12:00 p.m. to Saturday 18th August, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
The TTMS has advised that the passage of a Tropical Wave will result in periods of showers/rain as well as the medium chance (60%) of thunderstorm activity. Some rainfall may be heavy at times and this can compound the situation in areas that remain waterlogged from the previous rainfall event. Gusty winds and street/flash flooding can accompany heavy downpours and landslips/landslides are possible in areas so prone.
Persons residing or working in areas recently impacted by flooding or landslips are urged to be extra vigilant and to take the necessary steps to prepare for the adverse weather.
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) would like citizens to Get Ready and Stay Ready by implementing the following steps:
1. Place important personal documents, valuables and vital medical supplies into a waterproof bag or container in an accessible and high location;
2. Pre-position sandbags around your property, especially if your area or property has a history of flooding or has been recently impacted;
3. Prepare an emergency kit with enough food, water, medicines, etc. to last a minimum of 3 days;
4. If there are signs that flooding is about to occur near your property, move important items to a higher floor if possible;
5. After heavy rainfall, stay inside until water levels have subsided;
6. Do not walk, play or drive through flood waters of unknown depth and current;
7. Be cautious when walking /driving along hillsides or landslide-prone areas;
8. If impacted by the adverse weather, please contact your Municipal Corporation or the Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) through its toll-free hotline numbers.
Citizens should continue to monitor the website and social media profiles of the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service and the ODPM for weather forecasts, alerts, warnings and cancelations. Visit www.metoffice.gov.tt or wwww.odpm.gov.tt.
WE WISH TO UNDERSCORE THAT TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER ANY TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE THREAT, WATCH OR WARNING.