Morvant/Laventille Secondary school repairs expected to begin this weekend
May 25, 2017: The Ministry of Education wishes to assure teachers, parents and staff members of the Morvant/Laventille Secondary School that necessary arrangements for pigeon proofing of the institution have been put in place and work is expected to commence this weekend.
The necessary scope of works has already been prepared and submitted to EFCL whose board is expected to meet tomorrow and grant the necessary approvals to initiate works at the school.
The suggestion of relocating the entire school population was not possible at this point of time due the absence of a suitable venue to house the number of students. However, the resumption of classes following a sanitization exercise of the entire buildings while the necessary work takes place was an option rejected by the teachers who refused to return to the classrooms.
The blocks identified for pigeon proofing are:
· Block P – First Classroom Block closes to main entrance – 3 level block
· Block E – Principal Block – 3 level Block
· Block F – Cafe and Auditorium – 2 level Block
· Block A – Single Level Block
· Block J – Single Level Block
· Pump House Block
Additionally, work will also be executed in the following areas to avoid pigeon issues in the future:
· Block B – Classroom Block – 3 level block
· Block C – Toilet Block – Single level
· Block D – Library Block – Single level
After the award of contracts, work is expected to be completed in approximately one week.
For further information please contact:
The Corporate Communications Division
Ministry of Education