Ministry of National Security urges caution in the use of fireworks
As Trinidad and Tobago celebrates its 57th anniversary as an independent nation on Saturday August 31, 2019, the Ministry of National Security reminds the public that the use of fireworks must be observed in accordance with the Summary Offences Act Chapter 11:02 of the Laws of Trinidad and Tobago.
Regulation 2 of the Fireworks Permits Regulations made under Section 101 of the Act, states that “The Commissioner of Police or any Superintendent of Police authorised by him in writing may grant to any person or persons a written permission prescribing the time, place and conditions at or on which such person or persons may throw, cast, set fire to or let off any firework or fireworks in a town. The Commissioner or Superintendent of Police so granting permission may at any time cancel or vary such permission.”
The Ministry of National Security urges the public to take proper safety measures when granted permission to use fireworks in order to help prevent accidents and injury.
The Ministry offers the following fireworks general safety tips:
- The best way to enjoy fireworks is to visit public fireworks displays put on by professionals who know how to safely handle fireworks.
- If you plan to use fireworks, make sure they are legal in your area and seek to obtain the necessary permission.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Always read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. If a device is not marked with the contents, direction and a warning label, do not light.
- Supervise children around fireworks at all times.
- If possible keep pets indoors. If you prefer to keep your pets outside, take steps to ensure their enclosure/kennel is comfortable and securely locked.