Introduction of a Quota and Import Licensing Regime and Registration System for Cement
7 December, 2020, Port of Spain: The Ministry of Trade and Industry wishes to advise of the introduction of a Quota, Import Licensing Regime and Registration System for Cement (Building Cement – Grey and Other Hydraulic Cements) effective 01 January 2021.
From 01 January 2021 and continuing for an initial period of three (3) years, an annual Quota Ceiling will apply to the importation of the following types of cement:
- Building cement (grey) – HS 2523.29.10
- Other hydraulic cements – HS 2523.90.00
The initial maximum quota ceiling allowed for importation for both types of cement is 75,000 tonnes (inclusive) for 2021 and will be applicable to all Importers and Distributors.
Importers and Distributors of the above types of cement are required to be first registered with the Trade Licence Unit (TLU) of the Ministry of Trade and Industry. To be registered, Importers and Distributors must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be registered under the Companies Act for at least five (5) years
- Have a permanent address and location
- Be registered with the Board of Inland Revenue, VAT Office and the National Insurance Board
- Have adequate and appropriate warehousing facilities for the safe and reliable storage of imported cement
- Have an established distribution network
- All imported Cement (Building Cement – Grey and Other Hydraulic Cements) must meet the relevant CARICOM Regional Product Standards
GUIDELINES FOR REGISTRATION AS AN IMPORTER/DISTRIBUTOR OF CEMENT (Building Cement – Grey and Other Hydraulic Cements)
- Visit the Ministry of Trade and Industry’s website at www.tradeind.gov.tt/documents-resources and complete the Application Form in Block Letters;
- Application must be accompanied by an original and a copy of the following:
- Company Registration Certificate
- Certificate of Incorporation to be accompanied by the Notice of Director (s)
- Notice of Registered Address
- VAT Registration Certificate
- Board of Inland Registration Certificate
- National Insurance Board Registration Certificate
3. Submit a cover letter to the Ministry providing the following information:
- Detailed description of business activity
- Length of time in Business
- No. of Persons employed
- Details of Distribution Network
Physical Requirements for Registration:
An onsite investigation on the warehousing facilities available for the safe and reliable storage of imported cement will be conducted by the Trade Licence Unit.
Completed applications should be addressed to:
The Chief Trade Officer
Trade Licence Unit
Ministry of Trade and Industry
#42 Tenth Avenue
The deadline for submission of all applications is Monday 21st December, 2020.
For further information on the Registration process, kindly contact the Trade Licence Unit at 674-3545, 675-8242 or 623 2931 Ext 3002 to 3007.