The Honourable Maj. Gen. Edmund Dillon, MP
Retired Major General Edmund Dillon was elected to the House of Representatives of the 11th Parliament as the Member for Point Fortin. He was appointed Minister of National Security on September 9, 2015.
Prior to his appointment, he was the Director Corporate Security at Atlantic LNG Trinidad and Tobago. He retired as the Chief of Defence Staff of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force in 2005. Prior to his appointment as Chief of Defence Staff, he held the position as the Commanding Officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment. He served as a member of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force for just over thirty-six years, beginning his career as an enlisted member of the Coast Guard before accepting a position as a commissioned officer in the Regiment.
MILITARY INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED
He attended several military courses and participated in several international seminars and conferences. He completed his basic officer cadet training at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, United Kingdom; staff officers training at the Canadian Forces Staff School and at the Canadian Land Forces Command and Staff College in Canada. He also completed the Legal Framework of Peacekeeping at the Lester Pearson Peacekeeping Institute in Canada; Improvise Explosive Devices Detection Technician Course at Army School of Ammunition, UK; Root Cause Analysis of International Terrorism at the US Navy Post Graduate School, Monterey, California and he attended the Command and General Staff Officer Course at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, USA.
Academically, he gained several distinctions during his service in both civilian and military educational institutions.
- Certificate in Management Studies from the University of the West Indies
- A double major Bachelor of Science degree in Sociology and Government (Upper Second Honours) from UWI,
- Post Graduate Diploma in International Relations (Honours) from UWI
- Master of Science in International Relations from the Institute of International Relations, UWI
- Masters in Military Arts and Science from the US Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, USA
- Diploma in Military Studies from the US Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, USA
- Certificate in National Security and Defence Strategy from the Inter-American Defence College, Washington, USA.
- Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution (Basic and Advanced) University of Winsdor Canada
- Certificate in Fraud Examination from Association of Fraud Examiners, USA
- Certificate in “Physical Security Vulnerability Assessment” from Mindshare Resources, USA
He is Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management, United Kingdom.
He was among the first group to be awarded the UWI Distinguished Alumni Award.
His main area of studies is Caribbean Security and Regional Security Cooperation. He has produced three unpublished documents titled “In Search of an Identity: the Caribbean Military and National Security in the 21st Century”, “From COMECOM to CARICOM: Cuba/CARICOM/ US Relationship” and “Rethinking National Security in the Caribbean: The Case of Trinidad and Tobago”. His first publication was recently released in a book edited by Dr. Ivelaw Griffith titled “Caribbean Security in the Age of Terror” 2004. His chapter is “Regional Security Cooperation: Traditional and Non Traditional Areas”.
- Medal of Merit Gold- National Award - for Outstanding and Meritorious Service in the sphere of Public Service
- Long Service Medal –Military – Twelve Years Distinguished military service
- Efficiency Decoration –Military – Eighteen years Distinguished Service as a Commissioned Officer
- Naval Order of Merit Medal for Distinguished Service in the First Category from the Dominican Republic for his contribution in the fight against narco-trafficking in the Region
- United State Army Commendation Military Medal of Merit – Operation “RESTORE DEMOCRACY” Haiti 1994
- Fifth Summit of the Americas Medal - for exemplary service during the hosting of the Summit
- Delaware Distinguished Service Medal – for Distinguished service towards the cooperation between Delaware National Guard and Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force
- 1990 COUP Medal – for demonstrated Anti-terrorist action during the attempted coup
Next Government Minister ›