Format of CSEC and CAPE 2021
Port of Spain, March 3rd, 2021: The Ministry of Education takes this opportunity to advise the public on the decisions taken at the COHSOD meeting held on Monday March 1st, 2021 regarding the Caribbean Secondary Examination Certificate (CSEC) and Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE).
At this meeting, Ministers of Education of the Region came to the following consensus:
· The examinations will consist of Papers 1, 2 and 3/School Based Assessment (SBA) as per the original format of CXC examinations. Please note that changes to the SBA requirements for 2021 have already been communicated to schools.
· The period for examinations will be June/July 2021.
· Results are to be released within the last week of September, 2021.
· Paper 2 will not contain optional items, but the broad topics to be examined will be released by CXC to Ministries of Education five (5) weeks prior to the start of examinations for dissemination to students. Paper 1 will examine all topics as usual.
· Students will be given the option, up to May 2021, to defer exam dates from 2021 to 2022 without penalty and with the transfer of SBA grades.
· The University of the West Indies will extend the Matriculation Waiver for one (1) further year, to permit entry of CAPE matriculants into the UWI for the beginning of Academic Year 2021/2022 based on their Year 1 CAPE results.
As the region manages the effects of Covid-19, the Ministry of Education will continue to liaise with all stakeholders to ensure that our most valued stakeholders, our children, have the best chance of success in their terminal examinations.