Be prepared for adverse weather
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) would like to remind persons that the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) has advised of an Adverse Weather Alert – Yellow Level for Trinidad and Tobago. This alert will take effect from Wednesday 9th October, 2019 at 6:00 a.m. to Thursday 10th October, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. and would result from the possible effects of the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ).
An Adverse Weather Yellow Level indicates the possibility of periods of heavy rainfall and isolated thunderstorms. This may result in street and/or flash flooding, gusty winds, electrical discharges and landslips and/or landslides.
In light of this, the ODPM is cautioning persons especially those living or working in low-lying areas, near river banks, or landslip prone areas to be extra vigilant and to take the necessary precautions to preserve life and property.
The ODPM reminds all persons to ensure that they take the following precautionary measures:
1. Pack a ‘Grab and Go’ bag to last at least 72 hours in the event you and your family need to evacuate.
2. Assemble a household emergency kit (water, food, medical supplies, radio, batteries, flashlight etc.)
3. Be cautious when walking/driving along hillsides or landslide-prone areas.
4. Do not walk or drive through flood waters of unknown depth and current (remember as little as 6 inches of moving water could knock an adult off his/her feet).
5. If flooding is imminent or occurring, evacuate to higher ground.
6. Complete your Emergency Plan in case a flood disrupts your normal route.
7. Flood waters can damage important documents. Store important documents in a waterproof container or electronically.
8. Reduce potential property damage by installing sandbags and elevating appliances.
9. Practise electrical safety - In the event of flooding, disconnect all electrical power to your home, business or property.
10. If impacted and in need of assistance, first make contact with your Disaster Management Unit at the Municipal Corporation or the Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) through its toll-free hotline numbers (see Appendix for contact numbers). In the event that you are unsuccessful please contact the ODPM at 800-6376 or 640-1285.
Persons may learn more on how to prepare for this Rainy/Hurricane Season by downloading the ODPM’s Wet/Hurricane Season Preparedness Guide at www.odpm.gov.tt/hurricaneguide.
In addition, persons should continue to monitor the ODPM and TTMS websites, and social media profiles for weather forecasts, alerts, warnings and cancellations. Visit www.odpm.gov.tt or https://www.metoffice.gov.tt
THE ODPM WISHES TO UNDERSCORE THAT TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER ANY TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE THREAT, WATCH OR WARNING.
Public Information, Education and Community Outreach Unit
For further information, please call:
ODPM’s Customer Call Centre 800-6376/ 640-1285/ TEMA’s Hotline 211